Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Fennel Radicchio Crockpot

I love fennel. However, I've been getting so much in my CSA basket, along with the requisite mass of salad of various varieties, that I was having a hard time using it all up. The fennel is also very sweet and packs an incredible anis-flavour punch, more than any fennel I've ever had before. I swear it is just like eating licorice! The other week I also got new potatoes, turnips and radicchio, so I gave this recipe a try. It was really yummy and easy. I used a combination of potatoes and turnips instead of just potatoes. And if I made it again I'd probably forego the olives.

Fennel and Radicchio Crock Pot
1 pound small red or white potatoes, whole or halved
1 fennel bulb, quartered, stalks discarded
1 small head radicchio, quartered4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 Tbs olive oil
salt and fresh pepper
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives in oil, drained
3 Tbs chopped fresh basil

Combine all the ingredients except the olives and basil in a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, until the vegetables are tender. Just before serving add the olives and basil. Toss to combine.

(From: Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson)

No comments: